It was just announced that Anthony Graves, an African American man wrongfully sent to death row in 1994, despite the actual killer admitting that Anthony had no role in the murders he committed. Thanks to students at the University of St. Thomas in Houston and their professor Nicole Casarez, working and uncovering evidence, the 5th Circuit order a new trial for Anthony in 2006.
But the D.A. has been saying for over 3 years that Anthony would be re-tried. A date was set for Valentines Day 2011.
Today, the D.A. finally admitted they have no evidence to re-try Anthony and he will be released immediately!!
Congratulations to Casarez and her students for their diligent work on this case! Now we need someone to help us find Anthony so we can invite him to join us Saturday at 2:00 at the 11th Annual March to Abolish the Death Penalty at the Capitol in Austin.
Congratulations to Anthony who had never given up!
The death penalty system is broken–SHUT IT DOWN!!
Prisoner ordered free from Texas’ death row
By BRIAN ROGERS HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Oct. 27, 2010, 5:40PM
A Texas inmate sentenced to die in 1994 is expected to be released immediately after prosecutors said today the man is innocent.
Anthony Graves was convicted of assisting Robert Earl Carter in the slaying of a grandmother, her daughter and four grandchildren in Somerville.
Charges against Graves were dismissed by Washington-Burleson County District Attorney Bill Parham, said Kelly Siegler, a prosecutor hired to re-try Graves.
Parham said he is convinced Graves is innocent.
In 2006, a three-judge panel from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decided Graves deserved a new trial after ruling that prosecutors elicited false statements from two witnesses and withheld two statements that could have changed the minds of jurors.
The victims were shot, stabbed, and bludgeoned and the house set afire to cover the crime.
Graves had been moved from death row to the Burleson County Jail to await a new trial. His attorneys could not be reached immediately for comment.